- August 3, 2020
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: Law
The Polish legislation does not prescribe a straightforward system that can lead to citizenship by investment in this country. The only way to obtain citizenship here is by applying for a residence permit (at first, a short-term residence permit and then for a permanent residence permit) and live in this country for the required period of time that can allow a person to be qualified for the procedures applicable to Polish citizenship.
Investors moving to Poland will thus have to apply for a temporary residence permit that will allow them the right to live here and start the business activity they are interested in carrying out. Upon the expiration of the document, they can apply for a permanent residence permit, through which they will be entitled to Polish citizenship in a given period of time; our team of immigration lawyers in Poland can assist with information regarding the application procedure.
What are the conditions for citizenship by investment in Poland in 2021?
Foreign businessmen who want to relocate to this country and to apply for Polish citizenship can do so in specific conditions. First, they need to invest at least EUR 100,000 in a business that will then be evaluated as being profitable. The annual turnover the company is expected to generate is of at least EUR 15,000, these financial aspects being the basic legal requirements for applying for Polish citizenship by investment in 2021. Other aspects foreign businessmen should take into consideration are the following:
• the legislation for Poland immigration regarding citizenship stipulates that the foreign investor must have lived in this country for at least 3 years on the basis of a permanent residence permit prior to applying for citizenship by investment;
• the person must be the holder of a residence card and must have a profitable business in Poland (and pay taxes accordingly);
• the investor must have lived in Poland on a continuous basis, with the mention that breaks are allowed, as long as the overall period of not living here is less than 10 months;
• the applicant for citizenship by investment in Poland must have a stable source of income, which can refer to income from dividends, income from work contracts and other types of sources;
• proof of having a stable place to live, such as the long-term rental contract or the proof of property ownership in Poland;
• the command of the Polish language is also necessary – the minimum requirement is B1 level.
Foreign businessmen starting a business in Poland can register any of the legal entities that are prescribed under the Polish legislation, such as corporate entities (limited liability company or joint stock company) or partnerships. Information and assistance on the business environment in this country can be obtained from the Polish Agency for Enterprise Development, an agency that can also help foreign businessmen.
We can also advise on the procedure of obtaining a residence permit in Poland.
Types of entities that can be created in order to obtain a Polish investor visa
Foreign investors who want to relocate to Poland through investment can do that be registering one of the types of legal available under the local legislation. Among these, the following are eligible:
- limited partnerships;
- limited liability companies;
- public companies.
What should be noted is that in some cases, the minimum amount of money required to invest in the business is higher than the one requested under the investor visa in Poland.
Our immigration lawyers in Poland can provide detailed information on how to set up a business in this country with the purpose of obtaining residency followed by citizenship by investment at the level of 2021.
Other ways to immigrate to Poland through investment in 2021
The Start-Up visa is another way of relocating to Poland through investment. This is a recent program that has been enabled in other countries around the world, but mainly in Europe.
In order to obtain citizenship by investment in Poland through the Start-up visa in 2021, an entrepreneur must set up business under specific conditions.
The applicant must file an application for the creation of new enterprise in which he or she is a member of the board of directors. The business idea must be based on a tangible business plan and an innovative idea. The minimum amount of money required for the Start-up Visa program is 1,200 euros. Also, the new company must contribute to the Polish economy through the creation of new jobs.
Obtaining Polish citizenship by investment through a start-up visa implies for the foreign applicant to move here based on a residence permit. Additionally, he or she will also be granted a work permit in order to act as a director in the company.
When it comes to the documents that need to be prepared for obtaining the residence permit, these will be the same as for any other immigrant with an exception: the person must provide a business plan and must prove the idea is innovative.
Obtaining residence in Poland after moving here
The first thing to consider when seeking to obtain citizenship by investment in Poland is that one will first be granted a permanent residence permit, provided that the following requirements are met:
- the applicant must be a Polish temporary resident permit;
- the applicant has lived in Poland for 5 years;
- the applicant must prove the success of the startup business through a bank statement indicating the balance of the company’s account.
- the person has a good level of the Polish language.
It should be noted that any of the types of legal entities presented above can be used for the creation of a startup through which citizenship by investment can be obtained in Poland in 2021.
If you have any questions on how to apply for permanent residency in this country, our Polish immigration lawyers can provide the necessary details.
How can our immigration lawyers in Poland help you?
Relocation to Poland is possible through various means, among which citizenship by investment is one that requires a lot of attention and patience.
With the help of our immigration lawyers in Poland, applying for citizenship by investment can be simplified thanks to the fact that the applicant will know first-hand how to approach the entire relocation procedure.
From detailed guidance on the requirements of starting a business that qualifies for obtaining residency to the documents that one needs to prepare, our lawyers will verify and help immigrants based on specific conditions applicable to their country of origin, where these apply. Among these, there can be the case of medical exams or additional requirements.
We can also provide information on the steps to follow from the application procedure and up until the residence visa is issued and the time they can relocate to Poland.
Also, any questions a foreign citizen has will be answered in detail by one of our Polish immigration lawyers.
What are Poland’s most important investment partners?
Poland provides a set of attractive advantages for foreign investors from its strategic geographical position, to its large labor market and special economic zones. Currently, Poland has a very stable economic market and it ranks, at a global level, as the 40th economy for its business climate (in a study carried out by the World Bank – 2020 Doing Business). Related to foreign investments in this country, we present the following:
• in 2017, the country’s main foreign investor was Germany, accounting for 20,2% of all the investments;
• the United States of America accounted for 11%, while the 3rd most important partner was France (9,8%);
• the 4th top investor was the Netherlands (8,8%), while the 5th was the United Kingdom (5,8%);
• foreign investors moving to Poland preferred the manufacturing sector (31% of all the investments);
• the financial and insurance activities represented the 2nd most important activity (20,5%).
We can offer our assistance to those who want to apply for Polish citizenship.
It must be noted the Poland immigration rules stipulate that a foreign person can have dual citizenship after obtaining citizenship by investment or through other means. However, in the case of foreign investors who want to maintain their basic citizenship, it is advisable to verify the legal requirements of their home country, as they may be required to forfeit the respective citizenship upon the approval of a new citizenship in a foreign country; our team of immigration lawyers in Poland can offer more information on such requirements.
FAQ on citizenship by investment in Poland
- Is it hard to obtain Polish citizenship by investment?
No, it is not hard to obtain citizenship in Poland, however, it should be noted that direct citizenship by investment is not available at the moment.
- What is the simplest way of obtaining citizenship by investment in Poland?
The simplest route to Polish citizenship by investment is by starting a business in this country, as the registration procedure is rather simple. The Start-up visa is also a suitable option.
- How long does the immigration procedure take?
It can take a few weeks to have the residence permit issued, however, the procedure depends on the country of residence of the applicant.
- How much does it cost to obtain citizenship in Poland?
The citizenship application procedure is subject to various fees. These are not high and updated information on them can be provided by our lawyers.
As a general rule, investors from European countries can maintain the first citizenship, but there are few exemptions from this. Investors who need more information on the process of obtaining Polish citizenship by investment can address to our team of immigration lawyers in Poland for professional advice and legal representation. Do not hesitate to inquire about the residence permit in Poland.