We use cookies for statistical purposes.

Our Articles

Employee Relocation to Poland

Employee Relocation to Poland

Companies operating in other countries can relocate their employees by following specific procedures. This is also the case in Poland, as it is an important international business center for many foreign enterprises.

Personnel relocation to Poland is possible for several categories of foreign workers. Below, our immigration lawyers in Poland explain the procedure related to intra-company transfers.

Employee relocation to Poland under EU Directive 2014/66

In 2018, Poland adhered to EU Directive 2014/66 on intra-corporate transfers, entry, and residency requirements for citizens of foreign countries. However, the country already had a procedure for personnel relocation to Poland through the issuance of regular work permits.

Under the new directive, the following types of permits can be issued when transferring employees to Poland:

  • the EU ICT (intra-company transfer) permit;
  • the Intra-EU mobility permit;
  • the intra-company transfer work permit.

It is worth noting that under a regular Polish work permit, managers, specialists, directors, and other skilled employees can be transferred to Poland.

Feel free to address any questions you have on employee relocation to our immigration lawyer in Poland.

The EU ICT permit in Poland

Employee relocation to Poland through the new ICT residence permit is open to foreign citizens who have been transferred to work in Poland as managers, specialists, or trainees with a university degree within the same group of enterprises. The foreign worker must have worked for the parent company for at least a year (6 months for trainees) and receive a payment that is at least 70% of the average wage in the respective region.

It is important to note that this type of permit is available for applicants outside the EU.

Managers and experts can receive combined work/residence permits for up to 3 years, while trainees can receive them for up to one year.

Our specialists are at your disposal with dedicated services related to personnel relocation to Poland.

We are also at your service if you want to immigrate to Poland for another purpose. If you are interested in starting a business in another country, such as Bahrain, we can put you in touch with our local partners.

Intra-company transfers to Poland under the EU mobility permit

The holder of an ICT permit obtained in Poland may work for a company belonging to the same group in another EU member state. The time limit is of up to 90 days in a 180-day period without obtaining a second work permit.  However, other EU countries may require notification. There may be a need for a “mobile ICT permit” for that state for stays longer than 90 days.

A person possessing an EU ICT permit issued in another EU member state may work in Poland for up to 90 days with a company belonging to the same group without acquiring a second permit. However, a notification must be submitted to the relevant authorities. The application for personnel relocation to Poland must be filed by the local company.

We can also help you apply for Polish citizenship.  You will first need to ensure you have obtained permanent residency, which will make you eligible for a passport for Poland. If you decide to relocate, you can get legal assistance from our immigration specialists who are at your disposal with tailored support.

Employee relocation to Poland enters the attention of our immigration law firm which can offer specific services to multinational companies with operations in various EU states. This is a video on this subject:

Feel free to send us any other questions on Poland’s immigration rules. If you need employee relocation services in other countries, such as Netherlands or Malta, we can put you in touch with our local partners who offer company formation services.

Foreign workers in Poland

Poland attracts thousands of foreign workers every year. Some come on their own, while others are transferred to local enterprises from neighboring countries. According to data gathered by Statista.com, here is a statistic on the number of foreign employees registered for social insurance in Poland:

  • at the end of 2020, there were 725,000 foreign employees enrolled with the Polish Social Insurance Institution;
  • their number increased to 875,000 at the end of 2021;
  • by June 2022, their number has jumped 1 million.

If you are interested in employee relocation to Poland, do not hesitate to get in touch with our specialists. Our immigration lawyers in Poland can also advise on applying for regular work visas.

There are several ways to obtain Polish permanent residence. Amon them, investment is often used by businesspersons who want to live and have their own companies here, thus ensuring a good quality of life. If you are interested in this option, do not hesitate to contact our local consultants.